- Sweet Pastry Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon cold water
- 5 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- For the pastry crust: Stir the flour and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces and drop then into the flour.
- With your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the flour until it becomes crumbly, or cut in with a pastry cutter.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp water.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the crust mixture and continue to mix with your fingers until a dough ball forms. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- If mixture is too dry, add up to one more tablespoon of water.
- On a floured board with a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into large circle.
- Gently lift into a 9-10 inch pie plate or tart tin.
- Trim the edges, patch any holes, and flute the crust.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom of the crust and weigh it down with some dry rice or beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift out the foil and beans or rice.
- Bake for 5 more minutes; then cool.
- To make the filling, heat 2 cups blueberries, 2 Tbsp water and the sugar in a small saucepan.
- Crush a few berries with a spoon to relese some juice.
- When the berries have softened and become juicy, add the cornstarch mixture.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in one more cup of blueberries.
- Pour the berry mixture in to the pie shell.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups of blueberries.
- Cool for at least one hour.
- Serve plain or topped with fresh whipped cream.