- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- whipped cream (for serving)
- chocolate curls (for garnish)
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine the 1 cup whipping cream, chocolate pieces, butter and sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till chocolate is melted.
- About 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- Return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till mixture is slightly thickened and almost bubbly-- 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water, stir occasionally till mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir (20 minutes).
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat the cooled chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on Medium to High speed until light and fluffy 2 or 3 mins.
- Spread filling in a baked pastry shell.
- Cover and chill pie 4-5 hours or until set Best served within 24 hours, but will last 3-4 days if stored properly.
- Serve with whipped cream and a garnish with chocolate curls.