- 1 1⁄2 cups mirin
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (optional)
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1 -2 green onion, in inch-long pieces (optional)
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Put mirin, soy sauce, sugar and garlic, if using, into a medium-sized sauce pan, and cook over medium heat until there is only half as much sauce remaining.
- Let cool slightly while you are preparing the chicken.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces; keeping the skin on is usual in Japan.
- Thread chicken onto skewers, alternating with green onion if desired.
- Begin grilling the chicken skewers on both sides without the sauce, when the meat starts changing color, brush the sauce on both sides, and continue grilling, brushing on sauce about 3 times total, and turning until done.