- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 small pita pocket bread, cut in half, warmed (4-inch diameter)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup cucumber, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In small bowl, combine Yogurt Sauce ingredients, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide beef mixture into 16 equal portions and shape into patties 2 inches in diameter.
- Place patties on rack in broiler pan.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes or until no longer pink OR GRILL over medium heat.
- To serve, place equal amounts of beef and tomato in each pita half; top with yogurt sauce.