- 1⁄2 head garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 (3 ounce) hoagie rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 slices sandwich pickles (sandwich length)
- 1⁄8 lb thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 1⁄8 lb thinly sliced turkey ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese (Jarlsberg is good)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To make butter:.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves); drizzle with oil. Wrap 1/2 head in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp, mustard, and butter in a small bowl; set aside.
- Double this and save the butter to make more sandwiches later!
- To make sandwiches:.
- Scoop out inside of the roll halves, leaving a 1/2" shell. Spread about 2 teaspoons garlic butter over cut sides of top and bottom halves of each roll. Arrange pickles, turkey, ham, and cheese evenly on bottom halves of rolls; top with top halves.
- Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 2 sandwiches to pan. Place a heavy skillet on top of sandwiches, and press gently to flatten. Grill 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted. Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally, and serve immediately.