- MEAT SKEWERS
- 1.10 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1.10 lb lean lamb fillets or 1.10 lb lean pork fillets
- 8 pre-soaked wooden skewers, about 15cm long, OR
- 4 metal skewers, about 25cm long
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, roughly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, roughly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, roughly ground
- 1 -2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (Pimenton)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch saffron, infused with
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- chopped flat leaf parsley (Cilantro) or chopped coriander (Cilantro)
- Cut the chicken breasts,lamb or pork into cubes about 1" in size. Flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Place the meat in a large bowl and add the dried spices, garlic & salt, saffron infused water, oregano, bay leaf and vinegar - mix thouroughly.
- Then add the olive oil - mix again thoroughly, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for between 2 & 12 hours, so the flavours mingle and marinade into the meat.
- Light the barbecue about half an hour before cooking and allow the charcoal or wood to flare and then glow.
- If cooking inside, turn the grill up to high, or use a smoking hot griddle or griddle pan.
- Thread the meat on to the skewers.
- Grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is charred and the inside is still juicy but cooked. (NOT pink for pork and chicken - but pink for lamb).
- Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh coriander (Cilantro), serve with a selection of salads, flat breads, pickles and Sherry vinegar dressing.