- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley (not quick cooking)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat; add squash, onion a bell pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Add barley; cook, stirring often, until toasted slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, sage thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Cover; heat to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook covered until barley is just tender about 35 minues. Remove from heat, stir lemon zest.