- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons authentico olive oil (or your favourite kind)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 0.5 lb arborio rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into segments
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Pour 3 tablespoons water over saffron in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle salt over the eggplant chunks and let stand in a colander for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic, peppers and eggplant for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and toss.
- Add the rice, then incorporate the vegetable stock, tomatoes, saffron and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
- Fold in the mushrooms, green beans and chickpeas.
- Cook for another 15 minutes and serve immediately.