- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and picked
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 ounces fresh spinach (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In your pressure cooker, sweat the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for a minute or two.
- Add the ground cumin and stir well.
- Add the vegetable broth, lentils, and bay leaves, close the pressure cooker, and bring up to pressure.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker via the quick release method (see your cooker's owner's manual!) or let the pressure come down on its own.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- If desired, stir in the spinach, and stir until it wilts. (Additional heat is not necessary.).
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.