- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 lemons
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Juice and grate the zest from the lemons.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until thickened.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour into a double boiler and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened, whisking constantly. Let stand until cool.
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a chilled mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the lemon mixture. Chill for 2 hours.
- Beat the whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture. Chill until serving time.
- To serve, spoon the mousse into individual dessert bowls.