- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans (I use fat free)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or 1 teaspoon ground dried chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 -5 dashes garlic powder
- hot sauce
- 1 cup hot cooked rice (I usually omit) (optional)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded or thinly sliced (I use low fat)
- your favorite salsa
- 1 package flour tortilla (10-in. The recipe usually uses 5 tortillas the way I make it)
- ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TO TASTE
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- sliced scallion
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- Place beans in microwave safe dish.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients.
- Heat on medium power for about 3 minutes or until hot, stirring once halfway through.
- Alternatively, heat over low heat on stovetop until warmed through.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add water.
- Mix in rice, if using.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas.
- Use the method you like best.
- I usually just heat them one at a time in a dry skillet over medium heat, about 20-30 secs per side, or just until pliable.
- Place about 1/3 cup bean mixture in each tortilla, add cheese, salsa and toppings, and roll.
- You can bake them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes if you want them firmer/crisper.