- 14 ounces organic extra firm tofu (Nasoya works great and low fat is also okay to use)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -2 scallion, sliced thin (white and green parts)
- 2 garlic cloves (smashed with back of knife or garlic press)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass (optional but recommended) or 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass (optional but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk all ingredients except for tofu in a 9x9 inch square baking dish.
- Drain and slice tofu in half lengthwise to make two thinner slabs. Blot with a paper towel.
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Slide tofu slices onto skillet and grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, flipping carefully with a large spatula. Brown it nicely to give it color and texture.
- Slip tofu slices into marinade, and turn with spatula at least once. While the tofu is sitting in the marinade, cut each slab 3 times lengthwise and widthwise with a sharp knife to make 16 squares per slab. Toss carefully.
- Let marinate for up to 30 minutes and remove garlic and ginger slices before serving warm, at room temperature or chilled.