- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled cored apple
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups French bread, 1 inch cubes with crusts (from 1 lb loaf)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage; sauté until cooked through and brown, breaking into pieces with spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- Add celery and next 6 ingredients to drippings in skillet.
- Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add mixture to sausage.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Reduce to lukewarm before continuing.) Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Add bread to sausage mixture.
- Whisk milk, broth, and butter in bowl to blend.
- Mix into stuffing; season stuffing with salt and pepper.
- Mix in eggs; transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, about 50 minutes.