- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease baking sheets.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Cream together shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add molasses and egg and beat well.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with water and vinegar combined, mixing thoroughly.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake in moderate (350) oven 12 to 15 minutes.