- FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup solid shortening
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup chilled water, plus
- 1 teaspoon chilled water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- To make dough: Sift flour & salt into a large bowl: Add shortening and mix with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes (the mixture should look like a coarse meal).
- Add sour cream and stir: Add i/2 of water at a time, stirring until the dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 24 small balls and place on plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°F and spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- To make filling: Combine WELL DRAINED pineapple, sugar or Splenda, coconut, and vanilla in bowl; set aside.
- Using the 3 T flour as needed, roll each dough ball into a 6-inch circle.
- Place 2 T filling in the center of each dough round:Roll& pinch edges of dough together to seal: place on baking sheet.
- Pierce empanadas with a fork and brush tops with sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
- Cool& serve.