- ITALIAN HERO SANDWICH
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Italian bread, with sesame seeds,about 24 inches long,cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup seeded and chopped pepperoncini pepper
- 1⁄2 cup seeded and chopped cherry pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced capicola
- 5 ounces thinly sliced cotto salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 5 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix well.
- Whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
- On a work surface, lay out 3 long pieces of plastic wrap, placing them side by side and slightly overlapping.
- Place the bottom half of the loaf over the wrap.
- Spread the pepperoncini and cherry peppers over the bread.
- Scatter evenly with the lettuce and layer with the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
- Layer the meats, one at a time, over the tomatoes, making sure to distribute them evenly.
- Top with a layer of provolone cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing over the cut side of the top of the loaf.
- Place on the layered sandwich and enclose in the plastic.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours to develop the flavors.
- To serve, unwrap the sandwich and slice into large pieces about 3 to 4 inches wide.