- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes (I use OXO brand, can use the small packages in place of cubes)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup full-fat milk (or use 2 cups half-and-half cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (i use seasoned salt)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- green onion
- Place the potatoes in a pot with chicken broth, onions, garlic and celery; bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from the stove and cool slightly (or you can refrigerate to puree later) using an electric mixer or a food processor blend until a smooth (leaving a few chunks of potatoes is fine!).
- Add in 1 cup milk or half and half, Parmesan cheese and bouillon cubes or packets, then place back on the stove to heat slowly.
- In a medium bowl whisk the 1-1/2 cups sour cream with the flour until blended.
- Pour 1/3 of the heated potato/milk mixture into the sour cream; mix then pour it back into the remainder of the soup; stir to combine, then heat on top of the stove.
- Season with salt and pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) then ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped green onions.