- 2 puff pastry sheets
- EGG WASH
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon sugar
- chunky applesauce
- cranberry chutney
- lemon curd
- pastry cream
- chocolate shavings, sprinkled with
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- CHEESE FILLING
- 12 12 ounces cream cheese or 12 ounces mascarpone
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
- apricot jam, warmed toasted sliced almonds
- STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- REMONCE: Cream the butter, sugar (and cinnamon, if added). Keep refrigerated till ready to use. Let soften at room temperature to spreadable consistency before using. (makes 1/2 cup ).
- STREUSEL FILLING: Whisk together the flour and sugar. Drizzle in the melted butter as you mix.(Makes 3/4 cups).
- CHEESE FILLING: Blend the sugar with the softened cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Don't over-beat or aerate. Mix in the yolk and chill until firm.
- GLAZE: Whisk a very small amount of milk into the sugar until all the lumps are gone. Continue to add milk, a few drops at a time, until it ribbons off the whisk (Makes 1/2 cup).
- TO ASSEMBLE PASTRIES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry out to a rectangle measuring a little larger than 20x10“. Cut into 20 (5-inch) squares.
- TURNOVERS: Spread each with filling of your choice. Using egg wash, brush two edges of each square.Fold over to make triangle shapes.Place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Cut three small diagonal slits in the top of the turnovers.
- Brush lightly with more egg wash and sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- DANISH: While still warm, brush lightly with warmed apricot jam. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and then drizzle with glaze.
- PINWHEELS: Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar onto squares. Brush two edges of the square with egg wash. Cut a slit from each corner almost into the center, stopping just short of the center. Fold every other tip into the center, overlapping them, and press firmly.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the center down with your finger where the tips overlap. Fill with 1/2 rounded teaspoon jam or filling.
- Brush with egg wash, then sprinkle with some coarse sugar,.Bake about 20 minutes, or until nicely colored.
- ENVELOPES: Turn the square so that a point is at the top. Put and elongated mound of about 2 tablespoons of cheese filling from top to bottom. Egg wash the side corners. Fold one corner over the filling and press firmly. Fold the other end over the top and press very firmly to seal.
- Place on lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and some chopped chocolate. Bake about 20 minutes, or until nicely browned (Or spread with lemon curd and then cheese filling and garnish before baking with toasted sliced almonds.).
- CHEESE POCKETS: Place a rounded tablespoon of cheese filling in the middle of the square. Brush the corners with egg wash. Fold two opposite sides up and press firmly, as in the envelopes above. Bring the bottom corner up and press firmly over the fold. Lastly, bring the top corner up and across the fold and pinch it to seal.
- Egg wash and sprinkle the top with streusel. Bake about 25 minutes, until nicely browned.