- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 4 tablespoons brandy or 4 tablespoons white rum
- 4 ounces caster sugar, divided
- 1 (9 ounce) packet sponge cake fingers (or more)
- 2 (9 ounce) containers mascarpone cheese
- 4 -5 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 150 ml cream
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated mixed with
- some demerara sugar (optional)
- Mix together the lemon juice, brandy and 2 oz of the sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Set aside so the sugar has time to dissolve.
- Get ready a 9-inch spring form pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a very clean bowl, using clean beaters whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, start on a slow, gradually on a higher speed.
- Whip the cream also to a soft peak.
- Beat together the remaining sugar, mascarpone, lemon curd, egg yolks and the lemon zest.
- Then you fold the cream in the mascarpone mixture, followed by the egg whites using a metal spoon.
- Stir the lemon/brandy mix and dip the fingers in, line the bottom of the dish with them, sprinkle some extra liquid over the biscuits, you will usually have enough.
- Spoon half of the mascarpone mix over the biscuits, dip remaining fingers and arrange on the top, sprinkle again with brandy lemon juice if you have some left, followed by the rest of the mascarpone.
- Level the top using a palette knife, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, if using, sprinkle the lemon/sugar mix over the top, remove from the tin (if necessary run a knife around the rim) place on a serving plate and cut in wedges.