- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (or can use 1 package mild or spicy taco seasoning mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pico de gallo
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- tortilla chips (use any amount desired)
- 1 cup sour cream (can use more)
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped (can use more)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lettuce
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, green bell pepper and chili powder; cook stirring until meat is no longer pink; drain all fat well, continue to cook until the meat is well browned (the beef must be well browned!).
- Add in refried beans, salsa; cook stirring until heated through.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese; stir until melted.
- Place the tortilla chips on a large serving platter.
- Top with ground beef mixture, then sprinkle the top of the HOT ground beef mixture with about 1-1/2 cups (or to taste) grated cheddar cheese.
- Top with sour cream, green onions, chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives.
- Serve hot or warm.