- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, finely diced (I just chop about 3 medium onions for this)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (can use regular salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional, or use 2-3 teaspoons fresh garlic)
- 1 black pepper (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 oil (for frying, I recommend to use vegetable oil olive oil will interact with the flavor)
- Chop the onions finely (I chop them about 1/4-inch) then place into a bowl.
- In another large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, seasoning salt, cayenne, garlic powder (if using) and a small amount of black pepper; mix to combine well.
- Add in the milk and whisk until thoroughly combined (the batter will be thick!).
- Add in the chopped onions and green onions and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- In a large non-stick frypan, heat a small amount of oil to medium-hot, adding in more oil as needed as the patties will absorb too much oil if you add in a large amount of oil at one time.
- Drop the batter from a tablespoon (no more than about a tablespoon!) into about 1/2-inch of hot oil (I slide the batter off using off another spoon).
- Flatten slightly with the spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Fry until crispy and brown on both sides.
- **NOTE** these tend to hold a bit of oil so drain well on paper towels.