- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon red onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, ground (or to taste)
- In a medium bowl, add tomatoes and crushed them by hand; set aside. In a pot over medium-heat, add oil and when hot, add onion and garlic; sauté for 1 ½ minutes. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute or until it turns into a nice amber color.
- Add crushed tomatoes, green chilies, broth, brown sugar, chipotle pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder and sea salt. Stir ingredients until well combined and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. It makes 3 cups.