- 5 lbs sierra gold potatoes or 5 lbs red potatoes, diced with peel
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (more salt? looks like an error)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk, warmed
- Place the potatoes, water, and butter into a slow cooker.
- Season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Cover, and cook High for 4 hours.
- Do not remove the excess water from slow cooker. This adds to the creamy texture.
- Mash potatoes with a masher or electric beater, adding the desired amount of warm milk to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Keep warm on low until serving.
- My slow cooker has a warm setting which it automatically goes to once cooking time has been reached. Potatoes keep consistency for a couple of hours after mashing. Just keep the lid on the slow cooker and serve directly from there.