- 6 yams
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup apple juice or 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 -2 large tart apple
- 6 ounces fresh cranberries, washed
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub the yams with a vegetable brush and boil them in their jackets uncovered for 30 minutes (or fork tender). Drain, peel, and cut in 2" thick rounds.
- In a pot boil sugar, butter, water, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg 5 minutes.
- Arrange yams in a 9x13 pan. Add peeled, cored, sliced apples. Tuck in the nuts and fresh cranberries amongst the yams and apples. Pour syrup over the top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.