- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole-wheat flour, gluten-free flour can be used as well)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or flax egg)
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients, combine the baking powder, soda, and salt with the flour.
- Now add the apple sauce, orange juice, zest, vanilla, cinnamon and stir by hand, focusing on incorporating the flour mixture at the bowl's bottom. DO NOT OVER STIR. Just make sure all the dry ingredients and wet ingredients create a thick and lumpy batter.
- Now, fold in the cranberries, making sure to fold gently to keep the berries intact.
- Using a silicone bread pan or a pan lined with parchment paper, pour the bread batter into the pan, scraping down the bowl's sides to get all the batter.
- Then, place some individual cranberries into the top of the bread, randomly placing them. This adds more cranberry flavor and makes the bread pretty,.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes. If using a silicone bread pan, check the bread 45 minutes in, as silicone pans generally take less cooking time.
- To check to make sure the bread is cooked through, place a knife through the middle. It should come out clean. If there is batter on the knife, cook for an additional 5 minutes.