- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with oil.
- Grind fennel seed, oregano and basil into a powder using a spice mill or mortar and pestle.
- Wash, peel and slice potatoes into thin french fry shapes.
- Combine ground spices, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, sugar and oil in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place potatoes and seasoning paste in a large ziplock or plastic bag.
- Using your hands, move the potatoes around in the bag until they are evenly coated with the seasoning paste.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F.
- Using a spatula, turn potatoes over and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if using).
- Bake for 10-20 minutes more or until fries become golden and start to crisp (time may vary with size of fries).
- Serve with marinara sauce or ketchup, if desired.