- 5 (3/4 lb) trout
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 fresh lemons (or lemon concentrate)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- To cook trout, wash and dry the fish inside and out and coat sides with a little olive oil.
- Slice mushrooms and place half in the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Salt and pepper fish, inside and out, to taste and place in dish on top of mushrooms.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over fish along with the minced parsley, chopped garlic and the green onion.
- If using fresh lemons, squeeze 1 or 2 directly over the entire trout including the inside.
- Meanwhile melt butter, add to olive oil and the juice of 2 lemons.
- Pour slowly over fish saving about half of the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees or until they are tender and bread crumbs are light brown.
- Fish is done when the meat flakes easily when a fork is inserted into the flesh and lifted up slightly.
- Just before the fish are done, saute 1-2 minutes , the remaining mushrooms in the sauce that is left and pour over top after placing trout on a serving plate.
- Garnish with a few lemon wedges and a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Serve this Italian Trout recipe with rice, or Italian pasta, and a vegetable.